Several years ago a co-worker of mine brought some sugar cookies to share, little did I know that after tasting them I would be addicted! I’ve made this recipe several times and each time I end up eating way too many–they are the best sugar cookies ever!
I’ll let you in on a little secret, it’s in the ingredients! My co-worker fondly referred to these cookies as a heart attack in a cookie, you’ll see why in a few minutes…
- 2 cubes softened butter
- 1- 8oz package softened cream cheese (fully loaded, not the light stuff!)
- 1½ c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 3½ cups flour
- First cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar so there are no lumps and the mixture is creamy. (To soften cream cheese and butter: Completely unwrap cream cheese and place in microwave for 10 seconds. Add 15 seconds for each additional package of cream cheese. To soften the butter, place both cubes on a plate and microwave for 6 seconds. Rotate the cubes and microwave for another 6 seconds.)
- Add egg, baking powder, vanilla, almond extract and flour. Mix well and chill for several hours.
- Roll and cut OR roll into balls and press lightly on top to flatten.
- Bake at 375 for about 8-10 minutes on a lightly greased or ungreased cookie sheet. They should be brown on the bottom but not on the top.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting.
You can now see why she calls them a heart attack in a cookie. Her comment was, ” Lots of calories and fat, not too many cookies” But oh how heavenly they are! Maybe you can just make these for special occasions- Santa wouldn’t mind! If you’re not up to it, these sugar cookies don’t need to be rolled and cut, in fact this is the first time I’ve cut them. I usually just roll them into a ball and press them a little on the top! Yum!