Several years back I worked as a hospital receptionist. For lunch, I would normally bring something from home, either leftovers or a sandwich, if not I found myself eating at the hospital cafeteria, which was really quite a treat. Normally hospital cafeterias have less than yummy food, but this one was a rare find. I’d always get the same thing, a tuna melt sandwich on wheat. It was so delicious! The bread was perfectly crisped the perfectly textured tuna was hot and the provolone cheese just starting to melt, it was heavenly. My mouth is watering as I’m typing now because it was THAT GOOD. We’ll since leaving the hospital, I’ve come up with a recipe for home that’s spot on! Now you can get a little taste of this cheesy and perfectly textured sandwich. YUM!
The quality of ingredients you pick matters, but what matters more is the technique you use to get the perfectly crisp and melty cheese goodness!
- 2 slices of hearty wheat bread
- 2 slices of provolone cheese
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- Mix tuna, mayo and minced pickles in a bowl witha fork, breaking up the tuna.
- Spray a skillet with olive oil cooking spray. Warm skillet on LOW heat.
- When oil is hot, place both slices of bread on the skillet.
- Add two slices of provolone to one slice of bread.
- Add a large scoop of tuna mixture to other slice of bread.
- Cover skillet and let cheese get melty and tuna warm up. Put sandwich together when cheese is melty, tuna is warm and bread is toasted.
- Cut in half or fourths and enjoy!
This tuna melt is the perfect fall time lunch or dinner. You could also serve it with one of these delicious fall time soups!