Here is another great sewing project for kids and beginners. Its a cute little tote made from a dollar store place mat and ribbon. With a few little flower details, this tote is as adorable as it is easy to construct.
Our church has a activity group for little girls ages 9-12 and they asked if I would be willing to teach the girls to sew. I wanted them to feel proud of their accomplishment and have something useful that they could show off. And did I mention we had 1 and a 1/2 hours for 11 girls to each make a bag? Well the girls did it and I was so proud. No complaining and they all figured it out.
Here are the basics of the instructions but if you want super easy to follow directions, hope on over to the shop and purchase the instructions in a digital download. You’ll be glad you did. SHOP NOW
1 – 18″ x 13″ Dollar Store Place Mat
24″ Length – 1″ Dollar Store Ribbon
1. Fold place mat hog dog (length wise)
2. Mark center with pin. And place additional pins 2″ to each side of center Pin
3. Fold ends of ribbon 1/2″. Line up next to outer pins. Zig-zag tack stitch into place onto right side of place mat.
4. Fold in half (width wise) with right sides in. Stitch sides with zig-zag stitch
5. Pull open and till bottom corners form points. Sew across points 2″ inches from tip. Trim Excess
6. Turn out and Done!