My littles will be 6 months at Halloween and obviously won’t be going trick-or-treating. I wanted a cheap and easy solution for their Halloween costumes since I wouldn’t be showing them off to many people–mostly just family. My solution, a mixture of new and old to turn them into cute little witches!
Their darling aunt gave them cute longsleeve Halloween onsies and I got two sets of baby leggings from their baby shower that would suffice as little witch tights! I used a little felt and colored ribbon to whip up their Witch Hat Headbands!
1- 9″ X 12″ black sheet of felt ($0.25 at Hobby Hobby)
1- Sheet of glittered felt in bright color (I used purple to match their onsies)
Elastic ribbon (For the headband portion)
Decorative ribbons (I used a tulle ribbon and striped ribbon)
Hot glue gun
1. First Print off the Baby Witch Hat Headband Pattern.
2. Cut out the three pieces on the pattern.
2. With sewing pins, pin the pattern pieces to the black felt.
3. Cut out each felt shape.
4. Cut a piece of the elastic ribbon by measuring your baby’s head. Measure the band so it fits around your baby’s head perfectly. This will allow for a 1/4″ seam allowance on each end and be snug so it won’t fall off.
5. Sew the elastic ribbon ends together by folding it directly in half and sewing on the raw edge 1/4″ in. Trim off access ribbon. If you’re using organza-like ribbon like I’ve used, be sure to sew over the ribbon many times to make sure the seam doesn’t rip the ribbon when it’s put on the baby’s head.
6. Use a hot glue gun to glue the elastic ribbon you just sewed to the small black felt circle. Hint: Glue the sewn edge down to the circle.
7. Glue the small circle with ribbon to the large circle piece of felt. Make sure the ribbon is in between the two pieces of felt.
8. Next, roll and hot glue the top of the witches hat into it’s cone shape and then hot glue the tabs to the top of the brim that you have already prepared.
9. Cut a length of your decorative ribbons so that it will wrap around the bottom of the cone part of the hat. I glued the ribbons and ends together and just set them on the hat. Secure with a few drops of hot glue.
10. Embellish with glitter felt cut outs and a cute jewel!
Watch for our upcoming Halloween post featured on Studio 5 this week!