My family loves gluten free cake! We have been doing the whole gluten free thing for over 25 years. It started with my brother, and back then there were no options for gluten free cakes, at least nothing that resembled a cake, so my mom had to think of something fun and delicious for an 8 year old boy. Luckily her neighbor had an old ice cream cake recipe that she was able to modify and rename to appeal to a party of young boys. That’s why this ice cream cake is made with green mint chocolate chip ice cream and named the “Ninja” turtle cake. Now even though there are tons of options available, this gluten free cake is so good that it gets requested even by the non gluten free folks at our house for birthdays.
What makes this icecream gluten free cake so good? Well, the top and bottom layers are made of brown sugar, butter, rice krispies, pecans and shredded coconut. When frozen over night with the ice cream, it adds texture and flavor that’s out of this world. So good. I could literally eat the picture on my screen as I am writing this!
ICE CREAM GLUTEN FREE CAKE RECIPE
- ½ Gallon Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Softened
- 1½ Sticks Butter
- 1½ Cups Brown Sugar
- 5 Cups Rice Krispies
- 1½ Cups Coconut
- ¾ Cup Chopped Pecans
- Set Carton of ice cream on counter to thaw.
- Melt butter and mix in brown sugar. Then add rice krispies, coconut, and pecans. Stir till coated.
- Press ½ of the mixture into a greased 9" x 13" pan.
- Once ice cream is soft enough to scoop, use a large spoon to scoop out shallow scoops of ice cream. Space scoops evenly through out bottom of pan. Smooth and spread till covered. Sprinkle remaining mixture over the top. Press mixture evenly. Cover and freeze over night.
Check back for more delicious recipes!