Make these cute pencil kites for the perfect back to school gift for your child’s teacher. Easy and made with paper scraps, scissors and some mechanical pencils.
Prior to making this fun and colorful back to school gift, I consulted with my teacher, sister-in-law on what she likes to receive as a teacher gift. After talking with many teachers, she said the consensus was that teachers got a lot of lotions and candles. She told me that she loved gifts that she could use in the classroom. So being the first of the school year I thought that although pencils are not the most exciting of gifts they can be used all year long, stashed in a desk and even taken home! The rainbow of colored kites dresses up the everyday mechanical pencils!
What you need:
Various colors/patterns of paper scraps (preferably card stock, but regular scrapbook paper works fine too)
Colorful mechanical pencils– I got a huge package at Costco or these are really similar!
Sky is the Limit Printable (Free download below)
Rick rack ribbon (Optional)
Back to School Gift: Pencil Kites
1. First fold a scrap of paper in half and cut a triangle shape. The top side should be shorter than the bottom, this will give you your kite shape. The dimensions are 5.5″ long and 4″ wide
2. Make a paper kite for each mechanical pencil.
3. Make sure the crease/fold is goes towards the back of the kite.
4. Next, cut two slits at the bottom of the folded kite about 1/4″ apart. The depth should be just a little wider than your pencil or pen.
5. Slip the mechanical pencil through the slits. The pencil clip should hang over the slit.
6. Print the FREE printable in whatever size you need. Such a fun sign! “The Sky is the Limit. So excited to SOAR with you this school year!”
To download this cute printable, right click the printable below and save on your computer. Print and cut.
6. For a little more pizzaz hot glue rick- rack ribbon off the bottom back of the kites for a tail. Place in a jar or tie with some string to finish off these cute back to school gifts.
Free Cricut cut file download:
Be sure to tune back in with us this Thursday for our Cricut Doll House Pop up book Giveaway!